Sunday, October 12, 2014

Greatness in Action

For as long as I can remember, I have always had a strong desire to help and serve others as best as I could. When Mr. Woak presented us with different service opportunities, St. Margaret of Scotland instantly appealed to me and is the one I chose to try out. Because I am considering working with kids in the future, I thought this was the perfect opportunity for me.
On Wednesday, I went to St. Margaret of Scotland and volunteered in their after-school program with Cate Llewellyn. As we were getting out of the car, I was extremely nervous. So many questions popped into my head: will the kids like me? Will I understand their homework? What if I cannot help? However, the minute I walked into the building, my entire mood shifted.

Everyone was so welcoming to me and Cate. They were so happy they had two volunteers for the day. The woman in charge, Ms. Cameron gave us a hug when we walked in and began running around getting everything ready for the kids. When the kids walked in, I understood why everyone was so grateful. There were over fifty children from pre-k to junior high. 

While there, I helped many kids with their math homework. The kids were working on word problems and many were confused on the same question: Why does your answer make sense? It struck me as such an odd question for a math worksheet. Personally, I had no idea what to tell the kids to write at first. In the end, I just asked them, "why do you think your answer makes sense?" They all had a variety of responses and I just told them to write it down. What seemed like a simple question confused so many of them, and it confused me as well. As I thought, I realized it was the fact that there was no right or wrong answer that confused many of them. It was amazing to see their different opinions and views on this question.

Overall, my time at St. Margaret of Scotland was very entertaining and just great. I met so many funny kids and felt so blessed to be there. I really  do not know how Ms. Cameron does it. If Cate and I were not there, she would have been watching all those kids by herself. Although there are teachers walking in and out, she basically does it all on her own, with a smile on her face. She is the definition of greatness. Her kindness and strenth are some qualities that I hope to emulate in my own life. She has a strict, but caring tone with all the kids and you can tell she really cares about each and every one of them. I hope to learn more and more from Ms. Cameron and the kids when I return next.

4 comments:

  1. Jeez! What you did was great, helping out the kids, and making sure they knew what they were doing. How old were the kids? What grade, and what was the work like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, it sounds like a very eye-opening experience! Why did you choose to do this specific volunteering, and how did it affect your outlook on service work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I also volunteered at St. Margaret of Scotland and I agree that Ms. Cameron truly embodies characteristics of greatness. You brought up the point that she basically runs the after school program by herself and there are so many kids. Because of this, I think she proves that nothing is impossible, that with strength and perseverance anything can be achieved. Another thing I noticed is that she never complained about and was truly thankful for our help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, I also volunteered at St. Margaret of Scotland a few weeks ago. The person running the club was a different lady when I went there, but she embodied the same qualtities that Ms. Cameron did. These wonderful people at the school are truly amazing and deserve so praise for what they do.

    ReplyDelete