Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Service at St. Margaret of Scotland

On November 5, I returned to St. Margaret of Scotland with Cate. I was less nervous this time because I felt I knew the drill: the kids would come in, sit down, and start their homework. After Cate and I signed in, we went down to the cafeteria to wait for the students.

This time, I helped the kindergartners with their homework. When they came in, I met their teacher who advised me to just give a guiding hand and not do it for them. His students were working on learning how to say -ch- with words such as chair, chicken, and cheese. It was interesting trying to help them because it seemed like such a simple concept to me, and it seemed impossible to just help with. All they had to do was trace the letters and pronounce the words. I made sure each child I help traced all the letters as they were told and had to tell a few to go back because they missed letters. Before they put it away, I asked them how to say the words. What astonished me was most of them could not do it. So, I sounded through each word with the child I was working with and he or she seemed to understand a bit more. It was interesting to see someone learn the basics of our language because I have no memory of learning to read. I can not imagine how difficult it is to be a kindergarten or pre-school teacher and try to teach children to read and spell.

Helping these kindergartners was a bit of a struggle. It truly demonstrated the greatness each and every teacher possesses. Teachers must have patience and unbelievable strength and care for others in order to do their job. Without great teachers, our world would be a lesser place. The kindergarten teacher at St. Margaret of Scotland is just one example of a great teacher. He really seemed connected to his students and wanted them to succeed. Teachers are a prime example for what it means to be great. When I return next, I hope to learn more from the wonderful students and staff at St. Margaret of Scotland. 

4 comments:

  1. Meg, it sounds like you are really making a difference in those students' lives. It is such a good thing that you are helping them with something that, even though it seems so simple to us, is so difficult for them. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, it's crazy to think that even we had trouble with little things like saying "ch" at some point, but the students at St. Margaret of Scotland are lucky to have you to help. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I really liked your connection to our overall theme of greatness. Good job with the students and with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, its really cool how you connected the teachers showing how even though some might not see them as clear examples of greatness, but they are. I also feel like I could relate to your experience since I actually have a little brother and have to help him with similar things. Good job!

    ReplyDelete